GOURMENT RAINBOW TROUT Serves 4
4 large rainbow trout fillets
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
1 tsp paprika
3/4 cup natural yogurt To serve with salad and pitta bread.
1.With a sharp knife, slash the flesh of the fish fillets through the skin fairly deeply at intervals.
2. Mix together the coriander, garlic, mint, paprika, and yogurt. Spread this mixture evenly over the fish and leave to marinate for about an hour.
3. Cook the fish under a moderately hot grill or on a barbecue, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden.
Serve hot with a crisp salad and some warmed pitta bread.
HERB BAKED TROUT Serves 4 – 6
2 Trout 25 g butter or margarine
1 tbsp spring onion or shallot
1 tbsp each fresh parsley,
juice of 1 lemon
tarragon, sorrel, mint, basil and salt and pepper to taste coriander
Combine the chopped herbs with the melted butter or margarine, chopped onion or shallot, lemon juice and seasoning. Clean and bone the trout.
Stuff each fish with some of the herb mixture.
Place in an oiled baking dish, cover and bake for 12 -15 minutes at 200 C.
Serve with the fish juices and boiled rice.
Note: Substitute extra parsley for any herbs that are not available. For a richer dish, add 5 oz (150 ml) cream or cream combined with yoghurt to the pan juices and heat through.
TROUT IN TOMATO SAUCE WITH NOODLES Serves 4 – 6
350g (12oz) Flat Noodles.
3 tbsp Olive Oil.
50g (2oz) Polyunsaturated Margarine.
1 Large Onion, finely chopped.
1 large clove of Garlic, finally chopped.
225g (8oz) Mushrooms, sliced.
4 Trout fillets, skinned and roughly diced.
1 tbsp Tomato Puree.
275ml (1/2 pint) low fat Creme Fraiche.
Salt Freshly ground Black Pepper.
2 tbsp chopped fresh Basil.
1. Bring some water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the noodles and boil for 11- 12 minutes. When just soft - drain, mix in 1 tbsp of the olive oil and place on a warmed serving dish.
2. In a large deep frying pan, melt the margarine with the remaining olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and fry until the onion is just tender. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
3. Stir into the trout, tomato puree and creme fraiche. Stir and simmer for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the basil.
4. Pour the sauce over the noodles.
5. Serve with some crusty bread and a side salad.
Preparation - 20 minutes Cooking Time - 20 minutes
STIR-FRY TROUT WITH GINGER AND SPRING ONION Serves 4 – 6
2 Trout (or 4 fillets)
2 tsp vegetable oil
4 tsp soy sauce
100 g spring onions
4 tsp dry sherry
100 g bean shoots
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
100 g rice,
cooked 2 cloves garlic, optional
Clean and fillet the trout.
Cut each fillet diagonally into strips and then into bite-sized pieces.
Combine the soy sauce, sherry, ginger and chopped garlic if you are using it.
Toss the strips in the soy mixture until they are well coated and leave to marinate for 1 -2 hours.
Heat the oil in a wok or heavy frying pan and stir fry the chopped spring onions for 1 minute.
Add the trout and its marinade.
Stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add the bean shoots and stir fry for 2 -3 minutes longer
Serve with hot rice.
TROUT DRAMBUIE Serves 4
4 rainbow trout, cleaned but with heads left on
2 oz soft butter ( 1/4 cup)
1 level teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 pint natural yogurt (2/3 cup)
1/4 pint double cream (2/3 cup)
1 tablespoon Drambuie
salt and pepper
lemon twists for garnish
1. Wash and thoroughly dry the fish. Spread an ovenproof dish with half the butter.
2. Put the fish in the dish and spread them with the rest of the butter.
3. Sprinkle with the oregano.
4. Mix the yogurt , cream and Drambuie together then season the mixture before pouring it over the trout.
5. Bake the fish, uncovered, at Gas 4/350 F/180 C for 20 minutes.
Garnish with lemon twists before serving.
TROUT AND MUSHROOM TERRINE Serves 4 – 6
2 Trout (or 4 fillets)
25 g breadcrumbs
25 g butter salt and pepper
25 g flour
2 egg whites 1
50 ml fish stock
350 g large spinach leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
100 g button or cap mushrooms
1. Clean, fillet and skin the trout. Mince or process the flesh until smooth.
2. Melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute then slowly add the fish stock, made by boiling up the head, skin and bones of the trout.
3. Bring the sauce to the boil, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from the heat, stir in the fish, lemon juice, breadcrumbs and seasoning. Add the egg whites and mix well. 5. Wash the spinach and blanch in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain well and dry carefully on a piece of kitchen towel. Cut out the coarse stalks and use threequarters of the spinach to line the base and sides of a lightly oiled 1? lb (675 g) loaf tin.
6. Thinly slice the mushrooms and season lightly with salt and freshly milled black pepper.
7. Spread half of the trout mixture over the base of the lined tin.
8. Cover with mushrooms. Spread the remaining trout on top.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 11/2 hours at 160 C.
Remove from the oven, cool and chill.
Turn out and slice
TROUT IN CREAM Serves 4
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh chives
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh single cream
30 ml (2 level tbsp) fresh breadcrumbs a little butter, melted
1. Clean the fish, leaving the heads on if wished. Wash and wipe the fish, lay them in a buttered shallow flameproof dish.
2. Sprinkle over the lemon juice, herbs, and about 15 ml (1 tbsp) water. Cover with foil
3. Cook in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 10 - 15 minutes, until tender.
4. Heat the fresh cream gently and pour over the fish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and melted butter and brown under a hot grill.
TROUT CAKES Makes 12 fish cakes
4 to 5 med. size fresh trout
1/4 cup. diced onion
1/2 cup. salad dressing
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. Seafood seasoning
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Season salt
1 cup. bread crumbs
2 cups. Italian bread crumbs
Pan fry trout for 6 minutes on each side or until flakes easily with a fork.
Remove from heat, cool.
Remove skin and de-bone.
Add remaining ingredients except for Italian bread crumbs.
Shape into 3 inch round patties.
Roll in Italian bread crumbs.
Fish cakes can be baked in 350-degree oven for 25 minutes or pan-fried until golden brown.
Fish cakes can be frozen (unbaked or fried) for 6 months.
SPICY SALMON – Serves 4
350 g (12 oz) rock salmon, bones removed, cut into 10 x 1 cm (4 x 1/2 inch strips
75 g (3 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
25 g (1 oz) desiccated coconut
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin salt and freshly ground black pepper
25 g (1 oz) plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cucumber, peeled and chopped
25 g (1 oz) gherkins, chopped
6 tablespoons thick bottled mayonnaise vegetable oil, for deep-frying
lemon and tomato, to garnish
Do not put too many fish strips into the fat at one time as the coconut tends to make the fat bubble. It is best to fry in 3 or 4 batches.
1. Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl and stir in the coconut, chilli, coriander and cumin. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
2. Spread the flour out on a large flat plate and season with salt and pepper. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip the fish strips in the flour, turning to coat thoroughly, then in the egg, and then in the breadcrumb mixture until evenly coated.
3. Lay the strips on a baking sheet or tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix the cucumber and gherkins into the mayonnaise and spoon into a small serving jug. Heat oven to 110°C (225°F) Gas 1/4.
5. Pour enough oil into a deep-fat fryer with a basket to come halfway up the sides. Heat the oil to 190°C (375°F), or until a stale bread cube turns golden in 50 seconds. Fry the fish strips a few at a time for 5 - 7 minutes until they are golden brown and crisp.
6. Drain on absorbent paper and keep warm in the oven while frying remaining batches.
Serve the fish strips at once garnished with thin wedges of lemon and tomato halves and with the cucumber and gherkin sauce handed separately.
SPICED SALMON STEAKS Serves 4
120 g (4 oz) light brown sugar
1 tbsp ground allspice
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger 4 salmon steaks,
1 inch thick 1 cucumber
1 bunch spring onions
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsps chooped fresh dill weed
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
1. Mix the sugar and spices together and rub the mixture into the surface of both sides of the salmon steaks. Allow the salmon steaks to stand for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. Meanwhile prepare the vegetables. Peel the cucumber and cut into quarters lengthways. Remove the seeds and cut each quarter into 1-inch pieces.
3. Trim the roots from the spring onions and cut down some, but not all, of the green part.
4. Put the cucumber and spring onions into a saucepan, along with the butter, lemon juice, dill, parsley and seasoning. Cook over a moderate heat for about 10 minutes, or until the cucumber is tender and turning translucent. 5. Put the salmon steaks under a preheated moderate grill and cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side.
6. Serve with the cucumber and spring onion accompaniment.
For more great recipes, you can find them in a really great wee cookbook 'The Fly Fishermans Trout and Salmon Cook' book available from Lulu.com